THE HON ANTHONY ALBANESE MP
Minister for Infrastructure and Transport
Leader of the House
THE HON WARREN SNOWDON MP
Member for Lingiari
SENATOR TRISH CROSSIN
Senator for the Northern Territory
10 May 2011
The 2011-12 Budget continues the rollout of the Gillard Government’s record capital works program which is renewing and expanding the Territory’s road infrastructure.
This coming financial year alone, we will be providing $143.5 million to progress a number of large and smaller scale projects.
During 2011-12, works will be continuing on the following major road projects (Commonwealth contribution shown):
- Installing extra overtaking lanes along the Stuart Highway between Katherine and Darwin – Federal contribution: $19 million;
- Reconstruct and repair pavement along the Stuart, Victoria and Barkly highways – Federal contribution: $28 million;
- Strengthening and widening the Stuart, Victoria and Barkly highways – Federal contribution: $63 million;
- Improving the flood immunity of the Stuart and Victoria highways – Federal contribution: $15 million;
- Improving the flood immunity of Port Keats Road – Federal contribution: $11 million; and
- Upgrading the Central Arnhem Road – Federal contribution: $15 million.
At the other end of the construction cycle, work is expected to be completed on the following projects over the next 12 months:
- Completing Stage 3 of the Tiger Brennan Drive with the construction of the Berrimah Rail Overpass separating Berrimah Road from the rail line into Darwin Port – Federal contribution: $5.5 million;
- Erecting a new higher bridge along the Stuart Highway over the King River – Federal contribution: $6 million; and
- Sealing the Buntine Highway – Federal contribution: $7 million.
We will also continue funding a range of initiatives designed to make our highways and local roads safer:
- $1 million to eliminate dangerous black spots on local roads; and
- Over $600,000 for rest stops and the other roadside facilities used by truck drivers.
The 2011-12 Budget also provides $25.7 million to assist the Territory’s councils maintain and upgrade their local roads.
Since being elected a little over three years ago, this Labor Government’s priority has been to reverse the neglect we inherited and begin putting in place the modern, well-planned infrastructure critical to making the Northern Territory even more prosperous and its economy even more productive.
Albanese: Jeff Singleton 0410 476 890
Snowdon: Alice Plate 0400 045 999
Crossin Carla Fernandes 0407 619 383